Phil Streeter

1 Copy

The Fugitive
“That morning of Monday, August 18th, 1948 will never be erased from my memory. I awoke to the sound of sparrows arguing with each other in the guttering. . . . It was warm and sunny. . . . As I turned the bend in the road, the warmth drained out of me when I saw four tall figures standing outside of my cottage
two were in police uniform, the other two in plain clothes. I felt my heart beating wildly and a sense of panic rising within me.”
For the next nineteen years until his final cross-border flight to freedom, Ladin Popov was destined to be a man on the run. From brutal arrest to a farcical trial. From appalling prison conditions to inhuman physical torture. This was the grotesque trend of events that dominated the dark years of Ladin Popov. Even after his eventual rel ease in the fall of ‘52, freedom remained as far away as the ice of the stars, as Secret Police continued to shadow him from town to town. Ladin at last found rest in the hot Scandinavian summer of 1977 when God whispered his name and said, “Come up hither.”
This is the gripping story of a fugitive—a man who dared to take risks in his running.

No comments: